Dinosaur in Trouble: proudly serving Twin Cities music geeks

Sunday, August 14, 2005

I Wanna Be "It"


The Haves Have It at the Triple Rock

Is it the end of the year yet? I think I’m about ready to dole out the first-annual Dinosaur in Trouble year-end awards (the Mesozoic Medals). These prestigious, highly coveted awards – referred to by people in the industry as “The Mezzies” – are not given out lightly. Hours upon hours of meticulous research are required to ensure 100% accuracy in the awarding of the Mezzies. So in the interest of accuracy, I suppose I should actually wait until the end of the year to give out the year-end awards. As of now, the recipient of the Mezzie for “the best band to release an album with artwork featuring polar bears at war with humans” would be STNNNG, for their album, Dignified Sissy. But who knows, maybe in a few more months, another band will come along and upstage STNNNG. It’s just too early to tell at this point. However, rigorous statistical analysis shows that there is little chance that the contender for “best new local band” will be upstaged within the next four months. I’m sure all of you regulars to Dinosaur in Trouble know exactly to whom I refer. Yes, The Haves Have It have it. How can I be so sure? Well, anyone who saw them at the Entry last month, or at the Triple Rock last Friday, knows that The Haves Have It’s position as the best new local band is as obvious as the statement implied by their name.

Seriously, The Haves Have It one-up themselves with each show they play. Friday’s Triple Rock show was no exception. Sexy, sophisticated, and fist-pumping! What more could you possibly ask for? Well, I guess everyone in the venue was asking for more (as in, “Encore! More Haves Have It!”). I caught word that they’ll be playing another show with Clair de Lune on September 15. You’d be there if you knew what was good for you.

The rest of the night was phenomenal as well. Kansas City’s Doris Henson, fresh off a six-week sold-out tour with Billy Corgan, kept things rockin’ after The Haves Have It. Those of you familiar with Midwestern cult bands of the 90s might recognize Doris Henson’s bass player, Byron Collum, from the legendary Kansas City scene-defining band, Giants Chair. [Side note: there have been some strong rumors concerning the likely possibility of a Giants Chair reunion in the near future. That’d be well-worth the road trip down to KC.] Here’s another interesting fact: Doris Henson’s singer/guitarist, Matt Dunehoo, and The Haves Have It’s singer/guitarist, Portia Richardson, went to high school together back in Kansas City. They’ve even recorded some stuff together (now coveted by extreme collectors; i.e., myself).

Tin Horns topped off the night of monstrous rock. Now there’s another band worthy of a Mezzie. Their debut album released earlier this year is awesome, but their live shows are even awesomer (and sweatier). They’re so awesome and sweaty, in fact, that I decided to buy a t-shirt. Now, a shirt purchase from Lee Barnett is quite an honor these days. When I was in high school, I used to buy a shirt at almost every show I went to. But then a year later, due to my rapidly developing musical tastes, the shirt would become way too embarrassing to wear. I have since become much more discriminating in my merch purchases. Fortunately, I’ll have no problem representin’ the Tin Horns for years to come. The last of my Korn shirts, however, have just been shipped off to Goodwill (I’m sure they’ll brighten the day of some angsty teen).

Now look at some more pictures.


The Haves


Have It


Jamie, Byron, and Matt of Doris Henson


Matt and Byron


Tin Horns


Adam from Clair de Lune provides dancing backup for Tin Horns

Archives:
The Haves Have It @ The 7th Street Entry: July 9, 2005
The Haves Have It @ house party: May 21, 2005
Tin Horns @ The Hexagon Bar: March 26, 2005
Tin Horns @ The Triple Rock: February 14, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home