Dinosaur in Trouble: proudly serving Twin Cities music geeks

Friday, March 24, 2006

Tapes 'n Tapes 'n Voxtrot


Tapes 'n Tapes

It’s crazy the kind of perspective being a month behind in your blogging can give you. For instance, when I saw Tapes ‘n Tapes’ remarkable performance at the 7th Street Entry on February 27th, I had no idea that they would become international superstars the very next day. A Pitchfork “Best New Music” review will definitely do that to you (think Clap Your Hands Say Yeah). Now their name is everywhere. They were one of the most talked about bands at this year’s SXSW, and they were even raved about in the New York Times. Hype tends to make me bitter, but as for this Dinosaur-in-Trouble-endorsed band, I couldn’t be happier. I say it’s about time. Their debut album made my 2004 top-10 list, and I’ve been listening to The Loon nonstop ever since it was released in November.


Tapes 'n Tapes

Curiously enough, I didn’t even go to the Entry to see Tapes ‘n Tapes (the fact that they were there was just an added bonus). I was all about Voxtrot. Ever since they blew me away at SXSW 2005, I’ve been waiting patiently for them to visit the Twin Cities. The long wait was worth it. They were just as I remembered them: awesome. I haven’t heard their new EP (it’ll be released in April), but I own their first one, and even though it is very good, it does their live show no justice. So for those of you who have only heard Voxtrot on record, I strongly recommend that you seek them out live. Until then, you’ll have no idea what you’re missing.


Voxtrot

Milwaukee’s pop rockers, New Sense, opened the show. Even though they were overshadowed by the other two bands, they were equally impressive. Cool stuff.


New Sense

Archives:
Tapes ‘n Tapes @ The Varsity Theater: December 22, 2005
Voxtrot @ Emo’s (SXSW): March 16, 2005

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Lee,

Great updates man! You definitely bust them out in spurts... love your attitude on the whole blogging thing...

Re: Tapes 'n Tapes... Yeah, they'll be (h)uuuge (imagine Donald Trump saying that) in 20006...

10:21 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Ha Ha, I meant 2006. TnT are waaay overhyped at the moment (they're good don't get me wrong)...

You should check out lesser known bands such as the Arctic Monkeys...

11:59 PM

 
Blogger Lee said...

Ha! I guess that puts things into perspective. It's true that Pitchfork may be a bit too powerful. But they pale in comparison to the hype machine that is the British music press. Arctic Monkeys, Shmarctic Monkeys!

8:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home