Dinosaur in Trouble: proudly serving Twin Cities music geeks

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Low


As I previously mentioned, there are certain events that help me realize how thankful I am for my surroundings. The Low show at First Avenue last night was one of those events. I can’t express how grateful I am to have the opportunity to see an incredible show by a band I love in a sold-out venue that I love. Anyway, here’s my synopsis.

Since I was moving a little slow, I arrived about halfway through Pedro the Lion’s set. I still got to see a good chunk, though. As much as I hate to admit it, I actually really enjoyed what I saw. Luckily, since Pedro wasn’t headlining, David Bazan didn’t have time to do his question/answer session. As one audience member yelled, “Less talk, more rock!” (Bazan’s response: “Less talk, more rock? I know a better one than that: ‘fuck off!’”) The highlight of Pedro’s set was definitely their rockin’ cover of Neil Young’s “Revolution Blues” (featuring Alan Sparhawk on guitar).

After Pedro the Lion, the audience was treated to the debut of Low’s new video for “Monkey.” It was a good video. I won’t give it away, though. The excitement in the crowd was evident by the fact that people were applauding the video as if Low had actually just played. I took some time to scan the crowd because I knew a bunch of people who were supposed to be there. But my efforts were futile. First Avenue was packed! It was very difficult to move anywhere. As uncomfortable as it might have been, it was very reassuring to know that so many people would show up to see such beautiful music in a venue that was forced to close its doors just a few months earlier.

There’s been some apprehension about Low’s new stuff since it slightly strays from their formula that we’ve all grown to love over the past ten years. Would they be able to pull it off live? I mean, how do you integrate rock music into a set with songs like “Laser Beam?” Well, they must’ve been doing something right because I’ve never been more satisfied by any Low or Low-related show. They were on last night. Perfect. Any apprehension that the audience might have had was immediately quelled. The new stuff worked so well with the classics. I was amazed at how perfectly the slow, brooding song “Murderer” melded into the rocker “Everybody’s Song.” I couldn’t ask for a better show.

Both Pedro the Lion and Low stated several times how fortunate we are to have First Avenue. Alan Sparhawk mentioned that he had seen life-changing shows at First Avenue, and it would be tragic if we lost it forever. I know exactly how he feels. He urged us to keep coming back.

Let me mention another reason why I love First Avenue: the 7th Street Entry! After the Low show, I crossed over to the Entry to see some killer local music. I got there just in time to hear Passions yelling “TURN OFF THE RADIOHHH!!!” from their song, “Radio” (which, ironically, was their big college radio hit). What a great show, though. They were so much fun. I’d say Passions was the second highlight of the night (behind Low, of course).

Next, I got to see Ela with their all-star lineup. They were very satisfying as well. I’m really glad I bought their album. I’ve listened to it several times today. Impressive.

The Cardinal Sin played last since it was their CD release show. They were entertaining. I’m not yet at a point where I can give an accurate opinion of them. I ran out of money for the night, so I couldn’t get their new album. Plus any money that I do have, I have to save for the Tin Horns’ CD release party tomorrow at the Triple Rock!

Yeah, last night was great. Thank you First Avenue! This town wouldn’t be the same without you.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there. We could have had a lovely time and I would have poked you when my favourite songs were played.

10:08 PM

 
Blogger Lee said...

Awww, thank you, my secret Valentine.

3:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home